Pesto Genovese – the basil one – is something everybody loves, or at least, everybody with a soul. It must be fresh-made, and never have been heated (so jarred ones are a no-go), and should be made with fresh basil, Italian pine nuts and sharp pecorino (maybe also parmesan, as in ours).
With regard to the pasta, the perfect shape is trofie – little spiralled squiggles of fresh semolina pasta – or if you must use a dry pasta, linguine might be best. Always in Liguria, potatoes and green beans are cooked with the pasta and tossed in the pesto. This is as charming as it is delicious – the potato and green bean add textural variety, so every mouthful is different enough to be exciting.
You will need:
1 large, boiling pot of well-salted water
Your pack serves 2 as a main and contains:
1. freshly made trofie pasta
2. potatoes and green beans
3. freshly made pesto Genovese
4. (inside pack 1) grated parmesan
NB the video includes a dressed salad which is not included in your pack but is available separately.
Have ready a pan of boiling, well-salted (i.e. pleasantly salty, 1% or 10g salt/litre) water.
- Pack 1: Put the trofie into the boiling water. They will take about 10 minutes to cook
- Pack 2: After the trofie have been cooking for 3-4 minutes, add the potatoes and green beans. Most likely, the potato will take the longest to cook if anything does– but as you near the end of the cooking time start tasting all three components and make sure none are raw
- Pack 3: at some point in the process, decant the pesto into a bowl and set it above the pasta water for just a moment – not to warm the pesto, but to gently soften it
- When ready, drain the trofie, potatoes and beans, reserving a little of the water. Add them to the pesto bowl and stir to mix, tasting for seasoning and adding just enough of the pasta water to moisten the dish and emulsify the sauce
- Pack 4: Serve with a little grated parmesan on top
ENJOY! This is a heavenly dish, it is almost sinful to open anything but a Ligurian white to go with it, although in reality it will go with many shades of Italian wine.
ALLERGENS: all packs prepared in a mixed kitchen, we cannot guarantee the absence of any allergen. All packs of this dish contain dairy, garlic and pine nuts.