BRINED SPRING CHICKEN, LEMON & OLIVE OIL (WHOLE - 450G ISH)Regular price £14.00
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.
Spring chickens (galletti) are a delight – crisp, bronzed skin and juicy legs – and their small size makes them ideal for barbecuing. Brining makes them more so – the sweet and salty solution plumps and seasons them.
Your pack contains:
- A plump and succulent bird, spatchcocked
- A small Sorrento lemon
- Some fine olive oil
- Heat your barbecue until the flames have died and the heat cooled a little – or alternatively, heat a griddle pan over a medium heat.
- Season the bird with pepper but no salt, as it will already be seasoned by the brine, then place it on the grill, skin side down.
- If you have a weight – a cast iron pan or pan lid, or a brick wrapped in tin foil – pop it on top and it will flatten the bird a little and help it to cook more evenly. If not, worry not – it will come out just fine.
- Keep an eye on the bird – the sugar from brining makes it prone to darkening quickly, and a medium heat is much better than a high one.
- When the skin is golden and crisp, turn over and continue cooking on the other side – it will likely take 20 minutes or so, depending on heat – to check, either use a cooking thermometer to probe it to 75C, or cut into the thigh right down to the bone and check it’s not bloody.
- When ready, remove from the heat and let rest in a warm spot for ten minutes or so, then squeeze over a little lemon juice and douse with oil.